Sunday, February 19, 2006

Monthly Devotional (Feb)

A New Life to Enjoy"-Bill Bright The Ten Commandments were given so that all could see the extent oftheir failure to obey God's laws. But the more we see our sinfulness,the more we see God's abounding grace forgiving us. Before, sin ruledover all men and brought them to death, but now God's kindness rulesinstead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal lifethrough Jesus Christ our Lord."Well, then, shall we keep on sinning so that God can keep on showing usmore and more kindness and forgiveness? Of course not! Should we keep onsinning when we don't have to? For sin's power over us was broken whenwe became Christians and were baptized to become a part of Jesus Christ;through His death the power of your sinful nature was shattered. Yourold sin-loving nature was buried with Him by baptism when He died, andwhen God the Father, with glorious power, brought Him back to lifeagain, you were given His wonderful new life to enjoy" (Romans5:20-6:4)."When I think upon God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes danceand leap, as it were, from my pen," replied the great musician Haydnwhen asked why his church music was so cheerful. "And since God hasgiven me a cheerful heart it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with acheerful spirit."A careful reading of 1 John 2 helps us realize that we will not want tosin if we really are children of God, any more than a butterfly wouldwant to crawl on the ground as it once did as a caterpillar. "Someonemay say, 'I am a Christian; I am on my way to heaven; I belong toChrist.' But if he doesn't do what Christ tells him to, he is a liar" (1John 2:4)."The person who has been born into God's family does not make a practiceof sinning, because now God's life is in him; so he can't keep onsinning, for this new life has been born into him and controls him - hehas been born again" (1 John 3:9).Bible Reading: Romans 5:15-19 TODAY'S ACTION POINT: I will thank Godoften throughout the day for the fact that I don't have sin. He has madea way of escape. "For sin's power over us was broken when we receivedChrist." So, I will "resist the devil" and he will flee from me. Today Iwill enjoy my new life in Christ by demonstrating a joyful spirit.

No comments: